APIs & Integrations

PatrickEng
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Adding Events to a Blog Notification Email

Hi,

TL;DR - using a manual email send to send to blog subscribers because we need to include upcoming event information in the notification email. Looking for a way to have HubSpot keep sending automatic notification emails after publishing, but also able to easily update event information in the email before it goes out.

So our team is running into a slight issue where we want to include upcoming events/details in our blog notification emails that go out to our subscribers.

The issue is that there's not really a good way to dynamically update all the event details since we have to add and remove events as the dates change. While I could include these details in the notification email template, I tend to have a bad experience of changing something in the template but the change not actually taking effect (has happened multiple times in multiple HubSpot portals).

We decided to turn off default HubSpot notification emails and instead send an email blast each time a post publishes, with up-to-date information. Obviously, this isn't the best solution.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas as to how we could make a hybrid solution where we can still utilize the functionality of HubSpot automatically sending the email 15 minutes after a post publishes AND easily update the events information in the same email with new info.

Thanks for any help!

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Patrick_Eng,

I understand; so the event info included in the email would be the same for every contact getting a given email, but changes over time as new events occur. There isn't really a way to automatically pull dynamic info like that into a blog subscription email. The only potential workaround would be to edit the template of the notification email to include a blog listing module, and then create a second "blog" that holds info on your events. This would allow you to automatically pull some info (specifically, the title of the "blog post") of the most recent post (i.e. event) into your email.

Other than that work around however, this isn't currently possible. The manual solution would be to update the event section in the email each time you have a new event.

0 Upvotes
PatrickEng
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Derek,

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. The blog idea might be worth running with, but we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Patrick Eng

Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Patrick_Eng,

Apologies if this sounds dense, but I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're looking to do. Is the event info in your emails separate from your blog posts? How does this changing event info coincide with your blog posts?

0 Upvotes
PatrickEng
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Derek,

The event info in our blog IS separate from the blog post.

In theory, this is what we would need to do:

1. Draft a blog post
  2. Make sure the email notification email that will go out to subscribers has the most up-to-date event information in it (say an Open House, info session, upcoming webinar, etc)
  3. Publish the blog post
  4. Notification email goes out 15 minutes later with usual blog post notification email content, but also with updated event information

Does that make sense?

0 Upvotes