API Limit with Get group of contacts by ID

contacts

The API Doc page for Get group of contacts by ID
states that

the endpoint has no limit to the number of IDs that can be passed to it

If I made a GET request to /contacts/v1/contact/vids/batch/ with appending hundreds of vids, potentially thousands, in the request, would that count as a single API request or more than one?
Would it return the full request with information about every vid I requested, or just a limited subset? Even though the API Doc states that there is no limit, is there a limit to the number of IDs that can be passed to it?

Thank you!

Hi @dutra

There’s no hard limit on the number of records you can request, but we recommend limiting your request to 100 contacts or fewer, otherwise you could run into processing timeout limits. I’ll update the doc to reflect that.

We measure requests by the individual http request, so requesting multiple records in a single http request counts as a single request.

@dutra You may also hit a soft limit based on the maximum request line length allowed by the server. For instance, some servers (like Apache 2.4) have a default maximum of 8,190 octets (approximately 8,177 available to the URL itself, after deducting the "GET HTTP/1.1 " request intro). This would limit the number of VIDs you could incorporate into a request to approximately 550–600.

You must specify exactly which properties are returned for each contact, so in essence you define the “limited subset” of information returned to you. If you want every contact property, and especially if you want all of the property history, then the recommendation that @dadams provided (no more than 100 contacts at a time) is especially important to observe.

Thank you for the answers and the warnings @dadams and @Bistream630! I appreciate the help.

Just another question I was wondering. Is there any way of getting the current number of API calls I am using?
It would be great if Rate Limited end points returned the current API call count in the HTTP headers or something similar.

@dutra we don’t currently have a way to view your current API usage, but it is something we’ll be adding in the future.