APIs & Integrations

KJB
Participant

Automating the filling out of custom modules

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

When you're editing an email's modules as shown in this screenshot: https://clb.sh/7f492b

...it would be great if I could import the data for each module from an external source, whether via an API call or uploading some JSON or whatever format, because our internal processes already have us preparing all this data elsewhere, and the copy and paste for every last field every time is pretty arduous.

Messing with HubSpot's internal API or scripting front-end interaction are both brittle approaches, and the API for third-party developers doesn't seem to support anything to do with importing data for the custom module content of an individual outgoing email.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kev

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Kevin_Bloch,

You're correct that there are limited options to sync external data to email modules at this time. Existing solutions for similar use cases include:

• Pulling external content into an RSS email. You could conceivably convert JSON data into XML and populate a recurring email with the content.
  • Pushing external content through the Single Send API.

I certainly see value in more editing options for HubSpot's content tools, however. I encourage you to post feature requests on the HubSpot Community Ideas Forum. This information is sent directly to our Product team and helps prioritize feature requests that have the greatest impact on our customers.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
KJB
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Isaac_Takushi,

Thanks for these ideas! I had missed both of them.

Unfortunately we don't use RSS emails--ours aren't "recurring" according to the system.

The Single Send API looks promising, but I think we would need some way to save it as a draft, rather than actually send it. Do you know if that's possible?

I'll post there again but given that the simple request for "save and do next module" (very low development impact, high UX impact) has been backlogged for months, I have to admit I'm a bit pessimistic that this much more esoteric request will gain any traction. :confused:

Anyway, I appreciate your response.

Best regards,
Kev

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Kevin_Bloch,

Yeah, it's currently not possible to save a message as a draft with the Single send API.

I sympathize with your dubious outlook on feature requests. There are a lot of ideas out there that I would like to see implemented as well. If you do post, send me a link and I'll be happy to upvote it.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
KJB
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @Isaac_Takushi for confirming about the API. Yeah, it's true, any big product will have way more feature requests than can be taken care of so quickly.

I did post already, thanks in advance for the upvote :slight_smile: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Module-data-import-via-API-call-or-upload-button-for-...

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Kevin_Bloch,

You're correct that there are limited options to sync external data to email modules at this time. Existing solutions for similar use cases include:

• Pulling external content into an RSS email. You could conceivably convert JSON data into XML and populate a recurring email with the content.
  • Pushing external content through the Single Send API.

I certainly see value in more editing options for HubSpot's content tools, however. I encourage you to post feature requests on the HubSpot Community Ideas Forum. This information is sent directly to our Product team and helps prioritize feature requests that have the greatest impact on our customers.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes