Batch update status

I’m using the batch api to import contacts.

About an hour ago I made a POST with two new contacts. I got a 202 response, but the contacts are still not showing in the portal.

Is there any way to tell if there are problems with the batch? Or an indication of the expected processing time? I’m very worried if batch updates will just fail with no indication what so ever?

It is now 18 hours later, and the two contacts are still not showing in the account.

How do I go about debugging this? How do I figure out why the batch failed (which I must assume it did).

Ok, so I think I found the issue. There was a bug in the json generator, that caused the json to be formatted with capital starting letters:

[{
“Email”: "test4@example.com",
“Properties”: [{
“Name”: “firstname”,
“Value”: “Tester”
}, {
“Name”: “lastname”,
“Value”: “Number4”
}
]
}, {
“Email”: "test5@example.com",
“Properties”: [{
“Name”: “firstname”,
“Value”: “Tester”
}, {
“Name”: “lastname”,
“Value”: “Number5”
}
]
}
]

What I do not understand is how this request would generate a 202 response? Should this not be an invalid request?

I am still worried that if there is a similar formatting issue in the future, we will have not idea that the batch update failed? Can anyone tell me if there is a log or notification or just anything that we can monitor?

Hi @mortenbock,

I can reproduce this on my end, and I would think we should error the request if the field names are capitalized. In general, we don’t run full validation on the batch endpoint since it’s intended to be asynchronous. Email and property name validation is done when the request is received, but otherwise failing contacts will be dropped silently.

Regarding your particular situation, I’ll touch base with the team and reach back out here when I have more information.

@Derek_Gervais Thank you for the update.

I think it would be really helpful for customers to be able to get notified in some form of failing updates. It is very hard to troubleshoot an async integration with no log information.

+1 for being able to poll/check the status of a batch import. Ideally a way to retrieve the VIDs of the created contacts too.