Can I add to a contacts list with the free plan

I'm trying to use HubSpot API key, but get the message 'This hapikey (xxxx) does not have proper permissions! (requires any of [contacts-lists-access, contacts-lists-read])'. This is not on my developer account though; my Hub ID is 165499.

I just want the ability to add to my list of HubSpot email contacts. Just to confirm, my free account can't do this as is, and I would need to upgrade to the Starter plan? Is that right?

I just want to be confident of what I'm doing before going forward but the actual sales rep I talked to referred me here.. specifically they said it should be free but they don't know for sure & that I must use this forum to find out.

I don't know if my issue is that the API key isn't working for whatever reason or if this is not a feature of the free accounts - I do not want to buy a plan to find out that I still have the same issue.

Hi @connor,

The Contact Lists API is the API for the Lists tool, which is only a feature for HubSpot Marketing Basic/Pro/Enterprise accounts.

That said this only refers to the specific Lists tool; if you're using the word 'list' here to mean 'creating contact records in HubSpot,' then that's absolutely possible using the Contacts API: