APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

Email Report Data Discrepancy

When using the API to pull email marketing data into an outside dashboard, the values the API provides do not match the values located in the platform (under Marketing > Email > Analyze). The platform-sourced numbers are significantly higher than what the API provides for the same account/date range.
I am new to working with HubSpot API but could not find a reason for this discrepancy in the API documentation or elsewhere in the forum. Thank you in advance for the help!

0 Upvotes
10 Replies 10
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @thomas.riley and @Hailey_Wunderli,

That's exactly what I needed; the one issue is that the export Hailey mentioned was not included in this forum post (I'm assuming that she attached it to the email reply?) I think we'll need to work out another method to get this info; I'll follow up over direct message.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Hailey_Wunderli,

Are you using the Email Events API? The only discrepancy that comes to mind right off the top of my head is the fact that events returned by the Email Events API can have the filteredEvent field set to `true'. These events are filtered from the UI entirely.

Can you give me some more specific information on the API(s) you're using, and what discrepancies you're seeing? Including a link to the portal would be super helpful. It's generally most productive when I can dig into some specific example data.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi Hailey and Derek-

First off, thanks again for all your help on this. Greatly appreciated by our client and myself!

Here is a link to the UI for that client where you can see the email data we have referenced:

https://app.hubspot.com/email/253608/analyze/overview/emails

Please let me know if this isn’t what you needed Derek or if there is anything else I can provide. Thanks again!!

TC Riley

Director of Analytics| MarketScale

Direct: (972) 982-7689

Thomas.Riley@MarketScale.com

MarketScale

901 Main Street, Suite 5300

Dallas, TX 75202

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi Derek,

Yes we are using the Email Events API. I tried applying a filter where filteredEvent is not equal to 'true'. This helped get the numbers a little bit closer but there are still discrepancies. I've attached a raw export of the data we get from the API. This is for data from 2018-04-01 to 2018-04-30. We are grouping the data by the type column and taking a count for each type. That's where we're seeing discrepancies in the amount of emails sent, opens, clicks, etc.

As far as a link to the portal, do you mean a link to where this information is being show in the HubSpot UI?

TC-- if that's what is needed, can you provide the link?

I hope that export is helpful, please let me know if you need any more info. Thank you so much for your help with this!

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

+Hailey

TC Riley

MarketScale

Dallas, TX 75202

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @thomas.riley,

I understand, thanks for the context here. I'm happy to take a look at a data export, but to be honest without understanding the ins-and-outs of Grow's system it'd be difficult to draw any conclusions. There are a number of different things they could be doing when collecting, processing, or analyzing the data that might lead to some discrepancies. Since I don't have access to Grow's systems, I can't investigate any of that.

I'd recommend working with Grow to get some raw data (either raw response data from HubSpot or specifics around how the data export you're referring to is processed) so that I can compare that data with the data that appears in your HubSpot portal.

Does that make sense?

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

TC,

Thanks for connecting us.

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your help with this! We are getting the data directly from HubSpot's API. Do you know of any differences between the logic of the API and the actual UI? Is there any type of algorithm applied to the data in the UI that we could mimic by applying transformations to the data from the API?

Thanks,

Hailey

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi Derek,

Thanks again for your help with this. I would like to connect you with our Grow Support Rep, Hailey. I know that the Grow team was having trouble identifying the source of the discrepancy, so I am hoping connecting you with their team can make this process easier.

Hailey- Can you please connect Derek with anyone else on your team investigating this issue in order to provide the details/information needed?

I truly appreciate everyone’s help with this issue. Please let me know if there is anything else needed on my end, happy to provide/facilitate whatever I can.

Regards,

TC Riley

MarketScale

Dallas, TX 75202

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @thomas.riley,

Can you give me some more information on this discrepancy? Are you using the Email Events API? Are you comparing the engagement numbers for specific campaigns? Can you post a link to an example email (with relevant timeframe info) that I can look at to observe the discrepancy?

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi Derek,

Thank you for reaching out. The specific issue we are having actually relates to an integration HubSpot has with the ‘Grow’ (grow.com) platform. We are in contact with Grow support to determine if the issue is on their side, but they recommended I also reach out to HubSpot support to expedite a possible solution. It is possible the entire issue is on the platforms end, but I just want to cover all bases to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

For clarity, we are a Marketing Agency that provides analytics to a variety of B2B clients. In this case, we are working with our client ‘Reflect Systems’, who utilizes your CRM.

Though we aren’t using the actual API calls (rather using the integration report options), I am fairly confident that it is pulling via the Email Events API. We are looking at all stats for campaigns, based on time/date ranges. Specifically, we are trying to pull emails sent, opened and clicked for the last 30 and 90 days.

The best I can probably provide in terms of data is an export of the data the Grow platform the data is pulling and the data presented in the Marketing > Email tab within the CRM. Both of these extracts are for 4/1/18 to 4/30/18 and you can see the numbers don’t add up.

Please let me know if there is anything else, info or data, I can provide for additional clarity. Happy to connect you with our contacts at Grow if that could help expedite? Let me know and thank you for your help!

Regards,

TC Riley

MarketScale

Dallas, TX 75202

0 Upvotes