APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

How to take a snapshot for website hosted in hubspot

Hi Supporters,

I’m newbie in hubspot and I am creating a website hosted in hubspot. I’m worry about how to backup my website every week so if any problem I can roll-back to previous website’s version.

In other server VPS like Digital Ocean, there are a feature is Take Snapshot, mean you can have a backup for current state in website and you can roll-back/restore if your website is have problem.

I dont know if in hubspot we have this kind of feature, I have found in forum and in the internet but nowhere mention about that.

Could you please help?

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @TheNguyen,

I understand; the template/page/post revision functionality isn’t that robust. It’s not possible to use it as a version control system for posts or other content. You can use the COS APIs to handle page/template/post publishing, so that might be the best route:

p.s. Because there are so many COS APIs, I didn’t link to them directly; this is just the link to the docs. The relevant APIs are the ones beginning with COS:

API Overview | HubSpot API

The API is built to allow you to create a functional application or integration quickly and easily. We know from experience - these are the APIs that power the HubSpot application. The ecosystem of developers creating integrations on top of the APIs...

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi @Derek_Gervais,

Thank you so much for your reply. That clarify a lot of concerns. But I still have one more question:

• When we change the page, we do that in the Content staging, and also make a description for that change. Example I change page_1 in my website and make the description is “Jan-30-2018, Rev 1.0: change the title of page_1”
  • But when we change the post/file/template, there is no way to make a description for a change at a certain time, I just see the revision base on the time I publish the change: https://prnt.sc/i7h52i. So there is no way to make a revision name (ie Rev 1.0) for a change?

-> So at the end of a day, I have a lot of changes in pages, templates, posts ,… and I would like to release the new version of website to my customer. I made the version is Rev 1.1 (for whole website). And in this version, I have to list out manually what changes or what versions for specific page/post/template:

Example: Website domain.com have new version Rev1.1, including changes:
Page_1: Rev 1.0
Post_1: Revision at 1/30/2018 11:33PM
Post_2: Revision at 1/30/2018 2:33AM
Template_A: Revision at 1/30/2018 1:33AM

My question is: Is there any way to export kind of list revisions for all page/post/template at a certain time?

Thanks
The Nguyen

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @TheNguyen,

Every page/template/file in HubSpot has a revision history, including CSS and Javascript files. For pages, this appears in the page/post editor mentioned in the article above. For templates/flies, this appears in the design manager under ‘Actions.’ You’re correct that revisions must be rolled back for each individual page/template/file. Revision history in HubSpot is stored for each page/template/file individually; there’s no ‘site-wide’ revision timeline.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply. I found the guide same the one you gave me in the reply. But when I upgrade my website, I change a lot of pages, posts, … so if I want to roll back the previous version I have to roll back each page, post. is that correct. How about if I change other parts of website, not page or post, example css, or configuration?

Example: today I change a lot of pages and posts in content staging, and configure something in the website. Then I publish them and mark the website version is 1.1 in the description. Next week, my website have problem so I want to roll back to previous state like version 1.0. Do I need to roll back each page/post/configuration?

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @TheNguyen,

I’m not familiar with the VPS or Digital Ocean ‘Take Snapshot’ functionality, but all HubSpot hosted pages have a revision history. Pages can be rolled back to previously saved revisions through the UI:

0 Upvotes