HubDB functionality (Meta Description)

Hi,

My Qestion has to do with HUB DB. It does not support the ability to set meta descriptions on individual dynamic pages.

What I am saying is, if you create a job listing page with a details page using HubDB, you can not set an individual job meta description per job uploaded as it will not over ride the actual HubSpot page setting for that meta description.

Is there a way around this without having to use the blog page logic, which is basically creating a page for each job uploaded, in case where you have over 500 jobs coming in?

I would love to know the answer to this as well. Does anyone has thoughts or advice here?

Me too, it's strange they provide page title but not meta description here.

Hi, @Autobox6, @kaitlynjoy, and @dannio.

Apologies that this topic has fallen through the cracks.

You all bring up an excellent point — if HubDB can overwrite a dynamic page's title, why shouldn't it be able to also update the meta description?

While I don't have any workarounds at this time, I will bring this feedback to the attention of a member of the relevant product team.

In the meantime, would one of you mind posting a feature request on the HubSpot Community Ideas Forum? The product teams regularly monitor posts and generally prioritize ideas which have the most engagement from and greatest potential impact on users. If you share the link in this thread, I'll be happy to upvote it.

Thanks @Isaac_Takushi:
https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Dynamic-pages-to-be-able-to-set-meta-descriptios/idi-p/243719#M27058

Is there anyway to push for this to be implemented quickly? It's more of an oversight that needs fixing than a product update. Right now no dynamic pages have adequate SEO set ups due to this.

Thanks for sharing, @dannio. I've upvoted the post.

I certainly understand your sentiment and I will actively advocate for this change.

That said, neither of us yet have a full picture of why the tool is limited in this capacity. (It may not be entirely fair to call it an oversight.) I'll try to get more context around this and update here.

Hi there. HubDB has built-in columns for the minimum data needed to serve a dynamic page. Obviously a path is required and a title is necessary to identify the page. Any other page-specific metadata is left open to for developers to implement as they wish.

Meta tags can be added to any page using the Head HTML area under settings / advanced for any page. To add a meta description there from a hubdb table, you could add this code.

{% if dynamic_page_hubdb_row %}        
   <meta name="description" content="{{ dynamic_page_hubdb_row.description }}">
{% endif %}

This assumes the column you want to use for the meta description is named "description", but you could change that to whatever column you prefer.

Given all that, we could make this easier, perhaps by allowing you to designate a specific column for these frequently-used meta tags. We will take a look at the community idea, but this should get you going.

Thanks for the alternate solution, @boulter! This hadn't occurred to me, but I'll keep it in mind going forward.

But Hubspot automatically provides a meta description already from the field provided. By doing this you'll be adding 2 separate meta description tags into your page. My point is that anything that's automatically provided and enforced by hubspot should be editable.

I'm with Dan on this. Unless there is a way we've missed that means you can override or edit the default description that we've missed?

Hey Isaac, I tested it yesterday and my suspicions was confirmed. If you follow his method then there would be a repeat of the meta description tag (and also it comes after the first one so I don't think it will get read). I don't think this issue can be called solved.

Hey, @dannio.

Thanks for confirming. Your feedback is also fair, however I marked @boulter's post as the solution because of what he says in the last paragraph:

Given all that, we could make this easier, perhaps by allowing you to designate a specific column for these frequently-used meta tags. We will take a look at the community idea, but this should get you going.

We are aware of the pain you are feeling around unique dynamic page meta descriptions. Thank you again for bringing this up. While we continue to gather feedback and consider this feature request, the method Jeff described is currently the best alternative to editing the initial meta description.

I've added a comment to clarify your point and will continue to advocate for improving this functionality on my end. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I tried this out as well, leaving the default meta description blank (the first one), and then adding the second one in the Page Header HTML so see which one Google would use. The answer was: neither! It appears that Google generates its own in many cases, confirmed in https://yoast.com/should-i-write-longer-meta-descriptions-our-research-results/.

It's true; Google does what it wants.

That said, tests often indicate that Google will use the first meta description it finds unless it believes other content on the page is more relevant to the search. I included this article in my Ideas Forum comment, but I'll leave it here as well.

Huh. I was curious if Google would ignore a blank meta description and use a second, non-blank one, but I was unable to verify that. That Moz article is also from 2012, so my guess is a lot has changed since them too.

@Boulter and HubSpot Dev team: This is really troubling. HubSpot took major steps forward in accommodating SEOs in the last two years, fixing speed, SSL, editing of XML sitemap, etc. but rolling HubDB out without accounting for meta description is not merely a little oversight, it's borderline incompetence.

Google will use the meta description provided in 90% of cases, in our experience. Google seeks clean, unique, structured data (just like Open Graph and Schema.org) Failure to account for this really needs to be addressed ASAP.

Moz has this to say on the matter:
"Meta descriptions can however impact a page's CTR (click-through-rate) on Google which can positively impact a page's ability to rank. For that reason, among others, it's important to put some effort into meta descriptions."

What you've effectively done here -- by not accounting for meta description -- is create a system that encourages DUPLICATE META DESCRIPTIONS by forcing one meta description PER TEMPLATE -- and not descriptions that are unique to the individual pages HubDB is so adept at creating -- and he's what Moz says about that issue:

" Avoid duplicate meta description tags
As with title tags, it's important that meta descriptions on each page be unique. Otherwise, you'll end up with SERP results that look like (repetitive and not helpful)... One way to combat duplicate meta descriptions is to implement a dynamic and programmatic way to create unique meta descriptions for automated pages. If possible, though, there's no substitute for an original description that you write for each page."

Please address this ASAP.

-David Carpenter for Connection Model

please upvote here:

The more votes the more likely that the developers will notice it and make it a priority.