Hey Derek, here are the details.
On December 19th we moved our website from Site5 to an internal server here at the office. I misspoke in my first post saying godaddy.
In doing so, we noticed the following…Our webforms that use the hubspot API to create contacts in hubspot no longer work. An example of a form that uses the api can be found here: http://www.fourseasonsheatingcooling.com/contact/free-estimate.php
It’s not a hubspot form, but uses the API to create contacts when a form is submitted.
Also, on the same day, we noticed our automated emails in hubspot have stopped sending for the different workflows we have in place.
Im almost certain this has something to do with moving the site to a new server. Wondering if there are any settings that need to be updated in hubspot. Its too coincidental that it all stopped working the same day the site was moved.
The hubspot embedded forms work just fine. Its the API forms and our workflows that are broken.
Hope this helps