Multiple values in HS field

Here is what I am trying to do:

1- Customer registers on our website and submit an order
2- Customer and Order data pushed to HS via contact's API

Let's take an example that a customer "abc@xyz.com" is our customer and his order details are in HS.

HS will have an email campaign that will check all customers who have complete orders on our website, but may have fields missing (basically abandoned carts). Let’s say an EIN Number is missing. A workflow is setup to remind these people to fill in all the info and update their EIN number.

The Problem:
The problem we’re facing is when a customer has multiple orders. A customer may use website to order multiple items with same account. But that contact record in HubSpot will only have one EIN and if they make another order that EIN number will get overwritten in HS when they submit another order. Two won’t be stored. And EIN is just one field that might have multiple values….there are around 10-13 other fields that could have multiple values if the contact makes multiple orders.

Is there any way in HS this situation can be handeled.

Hi @computan,

I think the best course of action might be to clear all of the order properties each time a new order occurs. This would look something like this:

1. Customer submits a complete order, with the following example fields:
    • EIN number = 123456
    • Product number = 654321
    • Other relevant info = stuff, things, etc.
  2. This info is passed into HubSpot via the Contacts API:
    • EIN number contact property is set to 123456
    • Product number contact property is set to 654321
    • Other relevant info contact properties are set to stuff, things, etc.
  3. The contact has all order fields populated, so email campaigns go off without a hitch
  4. Contact submits a new order, with new information
    • EIN number is not submitted with this order
    • Product number = 654321
    • Other relevant info = new stuff, new things, etc.
  5. For missing info, a blank value (i.e. "") is sent when contact is updated with new order info
    • EIN number contact property is updated to ""
    • Product number contact property is set to 654321
    • Other relevant info contact properties are set to new stuff, new things, etc.
  6. Contact no longer has all order fields populated, and therefore can be enrolled in abandoned cart workflows or suppressed from other email campaigns as necessary.

As a warning, this method may or may not be the best course of action depending on the details of your existing setup. Happy to discuss this or other potential solutions further.

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your response.

Here is another scenario then that you might have missed.

Customer submits a complete order, with the following example fields:
    EIN number = '' (NO EIN NUMBER)
    Product number = 654321
    Other relevant info = stuff, things, etc.
This info is passed into HubSpot via the Contacts API:
    EIN number contact property is set to "EMPTY VALUE"
    Product number contact property is set to 654321
    Other relevant info contact properties are set to stuff, things, etc.

Now emails will be sent to this customer to set his/her EIN number which is required to complete the order process.

Same customer submits an other order:	

Contact submits a new order, with new information
EIN number = 123456
Product number = 654322
Other relevant info = new stuff, new things, etc.
Value that was blank for EIN number will now be filled with new value and his properties will be updated.
EIN number = 123456
Product number = 654322
Other relevant info contact properties are set to new stuff, new things, etc.

Now this contact do have a EIN value in HS record so he will not receive emails for filling in his EIN NUMBER, because it's updated in HS with a value. But what would happen for his first order? His first order still don't have EIN number and we want to send that email to him mentioning him about giving EIN Number for that particular order.

I hope you might have more clear picture of my problem now

Hi @computan,

I understand; that would be a case where this particular use case wouldn't work perfectly. Bear in mind that the tool isn't designed with comprehensive order tracking in mind, so these solutions are workarounds. Is it possible to make the EIN number required? That would eliminate the need for follow up emails and resolve this edge case entirely.