APIs & Integrations

benamada

No permission to edit contact - "User XXX does not have permissions on portal XXX"

SOLVE

Hello. For my API integration, I've added Update Contact capability which is working against my test portal but not working against a real portal. I'm able to Add and Get Contacts, but receiving an error trying to Update a Contact. Below is the request and response as reported by API Monitoring.

Request

{"properties":[{"property":"lifecyclestage","value":"marketingqualifiedlead"}]}

Response

{"status":"error","message":"User XXX does not have permissions on portal XXX","correlationId":"e2b4461f-aab5-4f51-bb23-687c032e5d8a","requestId":"6c2388fd513565f038fcf5f439fb94c7"}

Any ideas on why I'm receiving this error? My API integration requests contacts scope, and again I am able to Get and Add new contacts, just cannot Update them.

Many thanks,
Ben

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

No permission to edit contact - "User XXX does not have permissions on portal XXX"

SOLVE

Welcome, @benamada!

Can you share a screenshot of the permissions of the user who connected your application to the production account?

The issue you cite sounds almost identical to the one discussed here, so I want to make sure the user still exists.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

I'm glad to hear that worked, @benamada!

We learned a lesson too! I guess this issue crops up more often than the team anticipated. I'll make sure to pass feedback to the relevant product team.

Isaac Takushi

IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Welcome, @benamada!

Can you share a screenshot of the permissions of the user who connected your application to the production account?

The issue you cite sounds almost identical to the one discussed here, so I want to make sure the user still exists.

Isaac Takushi

benamada

SOLVE

Hi @Isaac_Takushi, thanks very much for picking this issue up :slight_smile:

That thread you linked to is very helpful, it looks like I may be getting these errors for the same reason nkhirfan was seeing them.

The person who connected their production account to my app recently left the company and it's quite likely that person was deactivated or removed from the production account. What threw me off here was the fact that my app could still Add and Get contacts which led me to incorrectly believe I should be able to Update contacts too.

The screenshot below includes the User number and Portal number.

I've asked another person at the company to re-connect their HubSpot account to my application. Once they've reconnected, I'll test the Update Contact process again. I'll post back here the result once I've had a chance to do that.

Thanks again for your help.
Ben

0 Upvotes
benamada

SOLVE

Hi again @Isaac_Takushi. I'm happy to confirm that after a different person at the organization connected with my app, the Update to the contact is working. Lesson learned if I run into this again... check whether the person is still an active user at the company.

Really appreciate your help, thank you.
Ben

0 Upvotes