APIs & Integrations

LordofEntropy

Please, please, please, review your API documentation

I keep running into issues and wasting time simply because the API documentation is incorrect. These are literally 5 minute fixes for you folks that are wasting who knows how many total hours of your user's time.

Here are some examples that have bitten me already:

1. Timeline Event Types (create,update, etc.) say:
    "Your Developer HAPIkey. This must be a Developer HAPIkey associated with the Developer portal that the OAuth app was created in."

This is incorrect, you have to use OAuth. The error when trying to follow the documentation isn't much help as it simply says invalid user id.

1. Timeline Event Type Property (create,update, etc.) say:
    "Your Developer HAPIkey. This must be a Developer HAPIkey associated with the Developer portal that the OAuth app was created in."

This is incorrect, you have to use OAuth. The error when trying to follow the documentation isn't much help as it simply says invalid user id.

Some things have slipped my mind at the moment, but there have been other things that I had to dig around in the forums or what not that could've easy just been correct in the documentation.

There are other things that tend to be unclear and what not or the samples don't line up (like updating an event type doesn't show the application-id being passed into the json body, so it can be easy to miss and think it only goes in the url).

1 Reply 1
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Please, please, please, review your API documentation

Hi @LordofEntropy,

If you're getting an 'Invalid user ID' error, it likely means that you're not including the userId query parameter when making requests to the Timeline Event Types / Timeline Event Type Properties endpoints. This parameter is your HubSpot user ID, and it can be found in the same place as your Developer HAPIkey in your Developer portal. I've included a screenshot below, and a link to the 'Create a new Timeline Event Type' doc for reference.

Additionally, if you have specific corrections/edits in mind, you can leave feedback directly on the docs themselves. Clicking the 'Submit Feedback' button at the bottom right of the widow will allow you to submit article-specific feedback to our queue.

0 Upvotes