APIs & Integrations

nsm5033

Rate limit per access token

Is the rate limit per access token?

That is, if I obtain multiple access tokens using the same Client_ID/Client_Secret/Refresh_Token, will each access token be rate-limited to 10 requests/second, or will they collectively be limited to 10 requests/second?

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @nsm5033, we'll be more explicit in our docs and will update them shortly! Thanks for pointing it out

0 Upvotes
nsm5033

Thanks, Connor -- can/will the documentation be updated to reflect this?

0 Upvotes
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @nsm5033, apologies, I'll have to go back on what I said before in that each token has a 10/second limit. The secondly limit is actually 10/second per app install. So the number of access tokens generated wouldn't actually matter.

0 Upvotes
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Got it. Do you have your App ID's of your applications that that user had installed, and that user's HubID? I'd like to take a look at your logs and see if I can see anything that might have gone wrong.

0 Upvotes
nsm5033

Sure.

App ID: 53421
HubID: 478844

Let me know if you need anything else!

0 Upvotes
nsm5033

Thanks, @Connor_Barley for clarifying.

I ask because the Hubspot integration we wrote ensures that no more than 9 requests/second are made. A user of this integration created two instances to run on different schedules (same account, different access tokens), and we noticed that the Hubspot API was returning 429s, but only when both integrations were running at the same time.

0 Upvotes
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @nsm5033! Each access token has a rate-limit of 10 requests/second, not each refresh token. That said, I'd advise against trying to create multiple access tokens in order to bypass our 10request/s limit as this goes against our API Terms of Service. See "Limits and Restrictions" section here: https://legal.hubspot.com/api-terms

We set and enforce limits on your use of the APIs in our sole discretion and may change the limits at any time by revising the API Usage Guidelines or our Pricing Page (http://www.hubspot.com/pricing). You will not attempt to circumvent the limitations documented in the API Usage Guidelines

Is there a particular reason why the 10 requests/second limit doesn't suffice for your purposes? Are you running into any issues with it? Happy to take your feedback and add your use-case to our internal feedback tool. Thanks!

0 Upvotes