APIs & Integrations

juancruzbasebon

Set a default value for a custom property

Hi friends!!

I have a custom property as a dropdown select which now it's binary (we don't know if it will handle other values in the future, so that's why it's a dropdown instead of a checkbox or a radio button). I only want to handle one of those two values: YES or NO. No empty values, no both values. The fallback should stay on NO, but I can't find (if it exists) a "default" value to this kind of selector. There's a setup window for this that I've missed?

BTW, the companies should come from API, form, tracked email.... I can control it via API, of course, but I need to control the other two sources

13 Replies 13
GF6
Participant

Is there a solution?

We have a follow up workflow system with contacts. New contacts generated by Mail API connection we need to flag so that they DO NOT get included automatically on the follpw up workflow.

Today we have to update manually, with the risk of missing some or create e new workflow.

A default value option for the field would be a very yseful if not expected feature.

0 Upvotes
SSevernak
Participant

We are having the same issue. I have a calculating property that sums a series of deal properites. However, the calculating property itself won't work if any of the deal properties included in the calculation is blank (not yet completed). Each of the deal properties included in the calculating property must have a value of zero or greater. This is a problem becuase those deal properties are completed sequentially and the user won't be completing the later sequence properties until months into the deal/project. To make this work, I understand we will need to create a workflow to populate the deal properties with the value of zero so that the calculating field will work from the start of the project (Deal). 

DHalliNet
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

We should not have to do this through workflows.  This is especially the case for Number fields that are being used for calculating other fields.  Since Calculation fields break if any of their calculated fields are empty, being able to set these Number fields to 0 as a default value would allow these fields to be used to Calculate values. 

GTahernia
Participant

This feels like a no brainer as a feature given the importance of data governance to a functional and effective CRM system.

We have a check box field against a deal record which tends to have lower compliance in terms of completions, so when running reports we have a high volume of blanks. Whilst we can solve for this with making the field mandatory upon deal creation, or creating a workflow, default values would make life easier across the board. 

Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @GTahernia 👋 Thank you for your comment. I agree this would be a useful addition.

If you have a moment, can you add your use case and comment to this Idea post—Pre-set Default Property Value, please? It is making the same feature request as described in this thread and in your comment. I added my upvote as well.

Thank you! — Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot

0 Upvotes
NicoleT
Contributor

This would be very helpful, as others have stated. We currently have to create workflows to set properties to 0 to allow calculations to run.

0 Upvotes
JHenry01

This would be staggeringly useful for us too! Disillusioning that we need to plan a whole work process just to set a property to 0 to push estimations ahead.

GEiselt
Contributor

This would be incredibly helpful for us as well! Disappointing that we have to design an entire workflow just to set a property to 0 to move calculations forward.

YiRui_Chua
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi team,

Commenting for a customer here. Agree that having the ability to set a default value will really help for those calculation custom properties. When it is "blank", the calculation can't continue.

Understand setting up a workflow is possible, but would prefer a easier way. Thank you!

MotorBoatin
Participant

Having the ability to set a custom property to default to 0 so calculations can continue would really help us! 

PatBuonoNB
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

This feature would be great to have in general. 

eric1

Another way (but more difficult to pull off) is to create a custom app and tell it to listen to a webhook on whatever object you're working with. When it receives an event, it can set the default value of that property.

So if you're working with a deal:

Create Deal -> App receives webhook event -> App reads the deal -> App sets the deal property if it not set

Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @juancruzbasebone,

There isn't any way to set a default value at the property definition level. You can set a default value for a property in forms, and you could create a workflow to automatically update records that don't have a value for the property in question, but otherwise it's not possible to force a property to always have a value.