The source for all contacts being created via a form submission is set to “Direct Traffic”. Looking at other topics on this issue has been helpful, but I’m still not sure why that’s the case in our app.
We have cross-domain tracking enabled on our marketing site domain and app domain, with the tracking code installed on both. I can see that the value for the hutk cookie is being set correctly to the same value in my browser on both domains.
For my test, I did the following:
- Deleted all cookies for both the marking site domain and app domain
- Performed a search on Google for the name of our app. Google showed our marketing site in the results
- Clicked on the marketing site in the Google search result
- From the marketing page, clicked on the link to start a trial, which redirects the user to the app
- Completed the trial workflow in the app, which submits a form request to Hubspot on the last step of the workflow.
Looking over the form submission, I can see that the value for hutk, pageName, and pageUrl were all submitted correctly. I’ve attached a screenshot showing this.
However, the source for this test contact is still showing as “Direct Traffic”.
Here’s a link to the contact:
I have a feeling that the contacts weren’t merged properly, because when looking up the associated contacts by utk in the Hubspot API by email addresses, I see what looks like two different contacts with different vid’s.
Any help with this would be appreciated.