APIs & Integrations

Dylan1

Updating user properties via identify api

SOLVE

I’d like to run regular updates of the user’s information using the javascript identify api but the information does not seem to be reflected in hubspot after running _hsq.push(["identify", identity]);" where identity is an object filled with {property: "value"}

Just to clarify I follow this up with _hsq.push(['trackPageView']); so it should definitely send

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Derek_Gervais
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @Dylan,

Technically once a hubspotutk cookie is associated with a contact record, subsequent identification calls can be made to update the contact record without including the email address. This isn’t recommended, however, since if the person clears their cookies or something similar, those identification calls (and the property updates) will be lost. In general, it’s best practice to include a contact’s email whenever you have it.

I’m glad to hear that it’s functioning correctly now; if you continue to experience issues with the tracking code API, please don’t hesitate to follow up in this topic.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Derek_Gervais
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @Dylan,

Technically once a hubspotutk cookie is associated with a contact record, subsequent identification calls can be made to update the contact record without including the email address. This isn’t recommended, however, since if the person clears their cookies or something similar, those identification calls (and the property updates) will be lost. In general, it’s best practice to include a contact’s email whenever you have it.

I’m glad to hear that it’s functioning correctly now; if you continue to experience issues with the tracking code API, please don’t hesitate to follow up in this topic.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @Dylan,

Are you including the contact’s email with every identification call? Also, what’s the use case you’re trying to solve with regular updates via the tracking code API?

0 Upvotes
Dylan1

SOLVE

We’re trying to solve issues with some race conditions for our activation, as well as maintaining membership state. Do we need to always have the email or just on the first identify?

Seems to be working now but not sure what changed. Could be a corrupted record.

0 Upvotes