APIs & Integrations

shai

What actions cause the user token / utk / hubspotutk cookie to be set?

Does every link in every outbound email (no matter whether it was part of a campaign or not, etc, etc) automatically append the querystring parameter that sets the utk cookie (as long as the tracking code is installed)? Are there any types of email that don't auto-append this?

And what other things do or don't cause that cookie to be set (submitting a form? anything else?)

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @shai,

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, are you referring to link tracking in Sales emails? HubSpot only appends the tracking parameters to hyperlinked text; raw URLs in the email body will not include link tracking.

For marketing emails, all links are tracked. This can be turned on/off at a portal level, but not for individual links/emails.

0 Upvotes
shai

I am indeed talking about hyperlinked text. OK, so all sales and marketing emails will include identifying information when links are clicked. That's great to know.

The problem is I can't get it to work!

If I click a link, a bunch of query parameters (_hsenc, _hsmi etc) are included. If I then check the hubspotutk cookie I see a value… however if I pass that value to GET /contacts/v1/contact/utk/:contact_utk/profile I get back a Contact not found...

Am I doing something wrong?

0 Upvotes