APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

API Key Permission Errors

This is kind of a convoluted story, but essentially we've been using HubSpot for years through the API but something happened back in December/January that broke our API.

We've been using this with a WordPress plugin by inputting the API key, and like I said this presumably worked great for years, we built up a campaign list of just under 10k emails.

Now if I log in to that account on HubSpot, go to integrations & grab the API key, it says that the permissions for it are wrong. This error led me to this specific page: This hapikey xxxx does not have proper permissions

Where in the thread the HubSpot guy says that you must make a developer account in order to make a test account & then use that API key. This works fine & the plugin accepts the key without the permissions error.

However when I log in to that account I see a banner at the top that says some Enterprise something or other has 89 days left, and I keep seeing that these kinds of accounts will ?stop working? or something after 90 days if you don't manually click renew.

I would love to use & keep adding to the 10k list that we've built up over the past few years, and I don't really understand why I can't (it throws some kind of permission error if I try to use the API key from this account now). I could always export the list, import it to the "test" one and then use that, but I don't really want to have to click renew every 90 days.

I'm not new to using API's, but I don't quite understand this at all. I chatted with HubSpot support & they said that I should use the developer account, but that account also says a permission error if I try to use the API key there, it seems like the test one is the only one that works with the API.

How do I add to my email list? If my API key keeps saying that it has some permission error? Can I use the test one the way I want?

I am a simple man; please help me

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
MSabir8

Looking for the same issue solution. I'm running the love language test website that is hosted on WordPress and wants to run it on multiple networks.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @connor,

So there are a couple of things going on here:

• First, the portal you mentioned (Hub ID 165499) is a Marketing/CRM Free portal. It seems to have been downgraded from a paid tier at some point, which likely explains the functionality change.
  • I'm not 100% familiar with the ins-and-outs of the Bloom WP plugin, but my guess would be that it uses functionality that your portal no longer supports. The most likely explanation would be that the Bloom WP plugin requires access to the Contact Lists API, which is not supported in Marketing/CRM Free portals.

@JShort This is definitely the case for you, based on the error message you included; since Marketing/CRM Free portals don't have access to the Lists tool (or the corresponding Contact Lists API) you'll run into 403 errors when trying to access the Contact Lists API with a Marketing/CRM Free portal's API key.

Side note: I edited your post to remove the reference to your API key; avoid including any sensitive details (e.g. API keys, OAuth tokens, etc.) in your post since this is a public forum. I'd strongly recommend deactivating the key you posted and generating a new one.

0 Upvotes
JShort

In case this helps, this is the error I'm getting:

Authorization failed: This hapikey (redacted) does not have proper permissions! (requires any of [contacts-lists-access, contacts-lists-read])

and HubSpot Id: 4723966

Thanks,
Jason

Not applicable

I think the issue in my situation is that HubSpot is not free. At the very least I can't get any support from HubSpot about whether this is even the case or not. I switched to CampaignMonitor it also costs money but it is a lot more clear, support rules & it's even cheaper

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

I agree with JShort.

JShort

Please can you keep this thread going as I am having the exact same issue.

Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @connor,

There are a lot of moving pieces here, and I'm not entirely clear on the situation. Can you give me the Hub ID of whichever portal your email list is in? Also if possible, can you give me more information on where you're putting your API key in Wordpress? Is there a Wordpress - HubSpot plugin you're using?

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Thank you Derek!!!! My ID is 165499. I'm using a WP plugin called Bloom - the error only happens when I use the main or test account, it seems to function when I use the 'developer' version but that one says it's in some kind of enterprise trial. From what I understand I should be using the one I have been trying to & not the test/developer accounts

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Additional info: it has been confirmed that the test account will stop working after 90 days. Would love to be able to use my email database!

0 Upvotes